Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2018

Craft Techniques in "Wants" by Grace Paley

As a discussion of the story, there may be spoilers here, but I'm not sure the story can be spoiled. The story is a simple one. A formerly married couple encounter, talk, bicker, and part.

No quotes creates a dreamy atmosphere. The narrator's inner thoughts meld with dialogue.

Hello, my life, I said. We had once been married for twenty-seven years, so I felt justified.

#

I love her admissions of guilt:

The librarian said $32 even and you’ve owed it for eighteen years. I didn’t deny anything. Because I don’t understand how time passes. I have had those books. I have often thought of them. The library is only two blocks away.

Not only is this funny, but also many creatives are just as guilty. It also allows us to accept the difference in couples, and we probably identify a little more with the narrator because of her interests. It also helps that we see her critique herself when she turns to critique on her ex.

#

One thing I didn't buy:

Don’t be bitter, I said. It’s never too late. 
No, he said with a great deal of bitterness. I may get a sailboat. As a matter of fact I have money down on an eighteen-foot two-rigger.

Is he bitter? Maybe. Maybe she knows him so well she can hear it where we may not. However, 1) How can someone hear "a great deal of bitterness" in a single syllable? and 2) He goes on to say he has been doing something about it.

Maybe she admits to not knowing here:

Either [current or former husband] has enough character for a whole life, which as it turns out is really not such a long time. You couldn’t exhaust either man’s qualities or get under the rock of his reasons in one short life.

#

The title, "Wants," plays on the dynamic between the old definition of "want" and the newer one, where "want" used to be closer to "need."

His wants are physical: a sailboat. Hers, to better herself and the world.


The ending is curious when she says
I decided to bring those two books back to the library. Which proves that... I can take some appropriate action.
This actually opens new questions: 1) Is she returning the books before reading them just to make a point? (which is absurdly funny) 2) Or are we to trust that her decision is as good as action? 3) If her decision is as good as action, why hadn't she turned the books in before?

She undercuts this with the statement, "although I am better known for my hospitable remarks." This doesn't necessarily answer the above questions, but maybe it suggests she may not turn in the books after all, despite her good intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment