Search This Blog

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Gina Berriault, author

Here's a writer I'd heard of but doubted I read anything of hers. It turns out I had. I suspect a number of us have read "The Stone Boy" by Gina Berriault:

  1. Story (in Points of View anthology) -- definitely read this one. I must have read at as a lad and it's still stuck with me.
  2. Film, won the 1972 New York Teenage Kodak Movie Award for Best Cinematography. It seems pretty bad until you realize these guys are amateurs. Then it's impressive. They pull off some good moments despite limitations of budget and acting classes. Kudos.

Other stories:

  1. "The Woman in the Rose-Colored Dress" at Narrative
  2. "The Infinite Passion of Expectation" at Vice
  3. "Around the Dear Ruin" [page down] at Vice 
Interview and articles:
  1. Passion and Craft interview (Here's an author who takes early influences seriously. She includes genre fantasists like George MacDonald. Usually names get rattled off.)
  2. Daphne Kalotay
  3. Marianne Rogoff's student remembrance
  4. Here's Richard Yates on the beginning of "Around the Dear Ruin"
  5. Here's Whitney Otto on its ending
  6. The best I can't find, but if you can find another here's a place holder

No comments:

Post a Comment