Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Celebrate the Life and Work of Ray Harryhausen

Ray Harryhausen (wiki article) has passed on, but his work still lives.  Since I just posted a review of Bernard Evslin retelling the Greek classics, I'll mention two of my favorite Harryhausen films of Greek myth:  Jason and the Argonauts (1963) and Clash of the Titans (1981).  If only I were somewhere where I could re-watch them.


The above video shows off the special-effects skills of Ray Harryhausen.  These awed me as a kid.  Times have changed, but many retain a certain magic and allure, especially those from the mid-fifties on.

Here's a classic scene you shouldn't click on unless you've watched the original Jason and the Argonauts because they cut out the cool part just before, which makes it weird and spooky:


A brief good tribute video, introducing the man's life and work, can be found here:


No comments:

Post a Comment