"Look back on the Artists and Critics whose work endured....
- They tested limits, their own and yours.
- They produced something new.
- They tested you.
- They entertained you.
- They often addressed very large questions, sometimes in miniature.
- They ringed a chord which we still call truth.
- They took you beyond yourself to something you recognized as better. They reminded you of the best in your own humanity."
--Frank Herbert, Nebula Winners Fifteen
[Note: points numbered, mine. Some lines I erased which I felt implied in the above.]