Search This Blog

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Seeing Double by Tom Crosshill

Writers of the Future XXVI

Since high school when Sasha would have troubles with another student at school, John and Sasha jack-stream into one another. John would race to the restroom and then deposit his fighting skills into Sasha's mind. Sasha becomes a college professor and, according his friend Dima, very peaceful. But when John jack-streams into Sasha, Sasha beats up or kills people (political assassins). Therefore, Dima tries a two-prong attack to separate their connection.

This one's written as if Nancy Kress were channeling yet rewriting the visions of William Gibson. I had to reread this a number of times. Maybe I was too tired while reading it, but I kept wondering if I were to question John's veracity. In the end, I think not. So far nothing I've read in these anthologies is a literary-intellectual challenge; so I doubt this would be an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment