- First stories from Collected Stories
- "The Handsomest Drowned Man In The World"
- "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings"
- Excerpt from One Hundred Years of Solitude
- “Death Constant Beyond Love”
- The Autumn of the Patriarch (excerpt)
- Personal History: The Challenge: A young writer proves himself.
- Richard Avedon's portrait of Gabriel García Márquez
The Modern Word (resources)
- William Kennedy's long interview, "The Yellow Trolley Car in Barcelona, and Other Visions":
- "Faulkner created Yoknapatawpha County. Welcome to García Márquez' Macondo."
- Excerpt from same interview: "The Origins of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Magic Realism":
- "Surrealism runs through the streets. Surrealism comes from the reality of Latin America."
Biographies, News and Appreciations:
- FT.com: “[W]hat I like about you is the serious way you make up nonsense.”
- Time: "And when he died on Thursday in his home in Mexico City, it did not seem impossible that a man could open his mouth and songbirds would fly out."
- Peter Carey
- Edwidge Danticat
- Edmund White
- "Nobel author Gabriel García Márquez wins 17-year legal fight over murder classic: Colombian court rules against man who claimed author used his life story for main character in Chronicle of a Death Foretold."
- Mental Floss