Search This Blog

Friday, July 26, 2019

Top 20 Dwarf Star Poems


Disclosure: I have a poem in here and am pleased to be included. I won’t suggest where or if it belongs on any of these levels. Readers can judge for themselves. I link to it at the bottom. It’s part of a whole suite of moon poems that accrue meaning. For interested parties, I’ll include other poems of that series that I can find online, so they can get a feel for how they fit together.

Observations on the top 20:

I organized the poems into groups although I could see them sliding up or down according to one’s taste. I was definitely surprised to find three of my top four to be haiku. I love haiku, but they’re rarely done well. These are not only emotionally potent but carry double duty.

Forms that slip from prose poem to haiku, so far, seem better without the haiku.

The list in the admirable middle group could be argued to be higher. They generally capture something of a feeling or thought that resonated with me. John C. Mannone’s is clever, but I feel it operates at a higher level, especially as it takes one voice and transforms it into another.

Once again Star*Line has the most representatives here with five (a quarter of the representatives!). Scifaikuest has three, and Troutswirl has two, both in the top group. Again, I don’t try to balance gender, but it is awfully close. Bruce Boston and F. J. Bergmann are the only poets to appear in the top Rhysling and Dwarf Stars while Christina Sng is the only poet to have two good ones in one.

It will be interesting to see how others vote on these poems.

Note 1: Within each group, poems are organized alphabetically by title.

Note 2: If I can find the poem online, a link will be provided. I had a hard time locating most.

The Mid 8


The Top 4:


The Clever 8:


#

Trent Walters, Man on the Moon poems online, the first is the nominee. The others are part of the poetic suite.


Life on the Moon v.2.0 Right Hand Pointing (about half way down, formatting off--for formatting, see first poem)

No comments:

Post a Comment